Sonisphere 2013

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 18, messages 21 to 40 of 359
willutalk

• Total Posts : 166
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Sonisphere 2013 24 September 2012 21:13 (permalink)
MUSE, RATM AND SOAD ARE THE ONLY REAL HEADLINERS OUT THERE AT THE MO WHO I FEEL THAT ARE IN BUGET AND WOULD SELL WELL. AND LINKIN PARK MAYBE.

kipper64

• Total Posts : 1210
    Re:Sonisphere 2013 24 September 2012 21:20 (permalink)
    Linkin Park are dependable, and would sell enough tickets I think - at least enough to ensure it'd go ahead (bearing in mind it's only a 60k capacity festival and they only need about half of that to break even), so would be an alright booking, but obviously with them having played before, and the hype around them somewhat dwindling with every poor album they release, it wouldn't lead to a sell out I reckons.  Muse/Soad/Ratm would be a very good set of headliners. Aersomith and AC/DC are doing festivals next year (Well Aerosmith definitely are, AC/DC want to - not sure if they actually will).  No idea how realistic either would be budget wise though, but either would be strong bookings too - though we'd be running the risk of 2013 being a alternate reality version of 2010's festivals :P

defsteve

• Total Posts : 8031
      Re:Sonisphere 2013 24 September 2012 22:27 (permalink)
      Return to UK and Europe. Have AC/DC as one of the headliners and give every UK ticket buyer a free ticket to Sonisphere France (the same weekend as Download).

Done.
      <message edited by defsteve on 24 September 2012 22:29>
      ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website | SoundcloudStore

Incoming: Chevelle/Black Map | He Is Legend | Helmet | Royal Blood | Kyng | Seether | Slash | Taking Back Sunday | He Is Legend | Black Label Society 

Mojo1974

• Total Posts : 393
        Re:Sonisphere 2013 25 September 2012 09:39 (permalink)
        Personally I wouldn't want Muse, SOAD and RATM have recently played DL so it would look like just picking some of DL's past headliners..........................Oh hold on DL has Iron Maiden and Rammstein!!  

AdamTibbs

• Total Posts : 168
          Re:Sonisphere 2013 25 September 2012 17:50 (permalink)
          Got bored and made this 
            CARDIFF BIG WEEKEND '10,11. READING '11. THROWFEST '12. SLAM DUNK '12. DOWNLOAD '12, 13. SONISPHERE '14.    
          CARDIFF CITY SEASON TICKET HOLDER

TomfiendWithAVengeance

• Total Posts : 2346
            Re:Sonisphere 2013 26 September 2012 05:35 (permalink)
            Doesn't do anything for me really.

metallermathius

• Total Posts : 159
              Re:Sonisphere 2013 26 September 2012 14:27 (permalink)
              Pink Floyd wont.

Looking for Camping gear at a low price? Need something but can't find it? Post in my Cost Effective Camping Thread!
              http://forums.downloadfestival.co.uk/tm.aspx?high=&m=5469798&mpage=1#5469798

Mojo1974

• Total Posts : 393
                Re:Sonisphere 2013 26 September 2012 15:13 (permalink)
                That lineup from the poster wouldn't really have had me rushing to buy a ticket for this years Soni!

ucntkillwhatsdead

• Total Posts : 2316
                  Re:Sonisphere 2013 26 September 2012 17:18 (permalink)
                  defsteve

Return to UK and Europe. Have AC/DC as one of the headliners and give every UK ticket buyer a free ticket to Sonisphere France (the same weekend as Download).

Done.

You might be into something

kipper64

Re:Sonisphere 2013 26 September 2012 20:33 (permalink)
                    Would it be Pink Floyd, or Pink Floyd w/ Ed Sheeran? 

GazzaScotland

• Total Posts : 5977
                      Re:Sonisphere 2013 26 September 2012 20:37 (permalink)
                      Pink Floyd with Adam Lambert.

The Great Pretender

• Total Posts : 394
                        Re:Sonisphere 2013 26 September 2012 20:52 (permalink)
                        I'm kind of conflicted on the Sonisphere issue. On one hand, it was a special festival for me 'cause I went to every one of them so the atmosphere felt more "homely" for me than it does at Download, but on the other, while having two major metal/rock festivals did keep them both on their toes, it kind of diluted the pool of bands in a lot of ways, and you ended up seeing a lot of the same bands and headliners playing festivals too frequently. Tough one, but I'd still like to see them make one more go of it, if only to see who they can convince to play with it being something of a damaged brand.

kipper64

Re:Sonisphere 2013 26 September 2012 21:13 (permalink)
                          See I'm not so sure it diluted the pool of bands at all, despite only one going a head this year there were hardly any standout bookings as out of the ordinary (though it was undoubtedly a strong line up), and Download and Sonisphere had some of their best years between 2009-2011 when both co-existed.  I think it just depends more on whose touring and who isn't though, and also who people will accept as headliners.

Davros666

• Total Posts : 1602
                            Re:Sonisphere 2013 26 September 2012 21:17 (permalink)
                            I think the audience could easily be swaped between Soni and Download. I think just because of that it diluted the amount of people and bands available. iMO only one was always going to survive. Has there been any official confirmation on Soni U?k yet?

kipper64

Re:Sonisphere 2013 26 September 2012 21:25 (permalink)
                              Depends what you mean though, you have to remember Sonisphere is only 60k capacity, and in 2010 you had Download at full capacity, and sonisphere almost there, so in 2010 at least it showed there was enough potential customers for both to do well. Hell even 2011 showed it was somewhat sustainable with Soni selling out at over 60k capacity, and Download selling comfortably at around 75k iirc?  Not a sell out for Download, but I imagine enough to make it profitable. This year you had Download sell out, and in the space of one month, very late on you had Sonisphere sell 12,000 tickets - if they had announced earlier, with a slightly better line up, I imagine they would have comfortably sold more than the 30,000ish tickets they need to break even.

So it's chopped and changed year in year out, but DL2008 struggled massively and that was without Sonisphere, and as I said DL has had some of it's best years the past few years, all doing better than most Download's pre Sonisphere, so I really don't see how customer-wise it's diluted?

Swiftbob

• Total Posts : 1531
                                Re:Sonisphere 2013 26 September 2012 21:28 (permalink)
                                Davros666

I think the audience could easily be swaped between Soni and Download. I think just because of that it diluted the amount of people and bands available. iMO only one was always going to survive. Has there been any official confirmation on Soni U?k yet?

This

Audience pool is generally the same
                                Bands pool is generally the same

I hoped both would survive but i always feared they were diluting it too far and unsustainable for both to be mega successful long term.

I can see Soni coming back and doing ok with right backer

I cant see both still being hugely successful a few years down the line with the same pool of bands/fans
                                <message edited by Swiftbob on 26 September 2012 21:30>
                                First Gig - Marillion - Brixton - 13/12/85
                                Last Gig - Bloodstock - Catton Park - Sun 10/8 
                                Next Gig - Opeth - Bham Institute- 16/10 
                                16xDonington - 88/90/1/2/4/5/03/5/7/8/9/10/11/12/14/15(RIP) 

ucntkillwhatsdead

• Total Posts : 2316
                                  Re:Sonisphere 2013 26 September 2012 21:51 (permalink)
                                  I still think they should do a  day or 2 days max, 4-5 stages. for now at least

kipper64

Re:Sonisphere 2013 26 September 2012 21:58 (permalink)
                                    2 and a half days wasn't much of a difference from 2 to be fair. Though I think the half day should just be a proper half day kind of like in 2010 with a smaller headliner, maybe make it weekend ticket holders only like TITP do.

Davros666

• Total Posts : 1602
                                      Re:Sonisphere 2013 26 September 2012 22:03 (permalink)
                                      Soni may only be 60k but it's still targeting the same people as Download. The only reason it came close to selling out IMO was because of the Big Four and the hype of Slipkont's first UK show without Paul Gray.
                                      Download struggled in 2008 because of the bands weren't touring at the time.
                                      I think there are too many festivals as it is.

kipper64

Re:Sonisphere 2013 27 September 2012 06:51 (permalink)
                                        But that doesn't explain 2009 or 2010 does it? 2009 Download had one of it's biggest years and Sonisphere made a decent start.  2010 Download sold out at 100k and Soni sold between 50-55k tickets, 2011 you had about 60+k at soni and about 75k at Download...so the target market varies, it's not set as the same, and there's enough for both to do well anyways, hell even if you had only 80k at Download this year and 20,000 of those went to Soni instead, soni would have sold about 35k tickets, which is past their break even point.

Bands touring can be an issue, but I think that's where sonisphere could have an edge, in a sense, as it's a smaller capacity, I think they'd surely not need as big a draw, and could get away with bumping new headliners up easier - as long as they're popular enough to shift tickets seeing as they only need to sell 40-60k tickets to do well. That's something Download can't really do, they need 3 big hitters to sell close to the sell-out range.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                          Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 18, messages 21 to 40 of 359

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9

If you find a bad forum post or account name that violates the Forums Code Of Conduct, you can report it here